Saturday 8 September 2012

Introduction to the Blue Moon

The Blue Moon is different from all the other Moons.  It is the Centre of the circle and is there for us all the time but every so often the procession of Moons jumps out of it's little orbiting circle and we have a Blue Moon.  This happens whenever there are two full moons in a month, about once every three years.  It also has the effect of resetting the procession of the Moons so the next Moon will be the Moon of Welcoming.  Without a Blue Moon, this Moon would have been the Moon of Breaking Masks and next moon would have been the Moon of Reason.

Every Blue Moon is special but this one is even more so.  It is a time of power and initiation.  The Gates open and if we pass the test we can enter and draw on the power of that gate until the next Blue Moon.  Normally we have a communal gate and a personal inner and outer gate we can attempt but this year, all sixteen of the gates opened. This is a powerful year.

My Teacher Lisa hosted a Gathering in Canada and the things that have come up during that Gathering are pretty phenomenal and they have only just started with the stories. 

I could not go however.  I did not have the money or the energy or the time off from work.  I guess I had other places I needed to be.  I needed to look at the Spider Gate and I shall write a post on that next.

My first Year of the Blue Moon started when I was born..  I was premature as my Mothers blood pressure shot up they induced me.  Although I was not very premature, I was very tiny, so I spent some time in an incubation unit before being taken home to Golders Green, London. But sometime during this year, my parents found the house they wished to move to outside London in the country and this dream to live a different life came true and on my first birthday we moved in.

Now, thirty five years later, my parents are moving out and just two days after my birthday they will no longer live in that beautiful place, just days before the end of the Blue Moon.  I love how writing makes me think...  It makes me wonder if living their was my dream, what my first ever blue moon brought to me.  There was a Blue Moon my first July too and I wonder if that helped.

The house I grew up in was over 400 years old, an pair of old farm hand cottages knocked together and extended over the years, set in an acre of land, planted with thought to the future, full of fruit trees and bushes.  It nurtured my soul and is the place I start my journeys.  One journey we were asked to go and meet the spirits of our special place and I met Grandma and Grandpa Crow and talked with them.  I have written all this before here.  And how powerful it was for me in the letting go and the binding of myself to that land on a deeper level.  Those spirits have always protected and nurtured me, and they are always there for me now, because I can go there any time through the dreaming.  Anyway realising all the synchronicities with the Blue Moon makes me think that I was very blessed and living in the home of my dreaming, watched over by Crows was....

I should maybe say at this point that my totem for the Blue Moon is the Crow and indeed not only were these guardian spirits Crows but my ancestral guide is a Crow too.  Many generations ago a young man married a young lass by the name of Crow.  I wonder about this surname too and how it came about...  The journey during which I met my guide was pretty amazing too...

My second year of the Blue Moon is a bit of a blank, I was 13.  I think it may have been around this time I developed a decided interest in boys and when the powere of the Horse began to wane in my life.  I think it is probably the time I began to rebel, gave up the musical instruments I had played, stopped riding, started Young Farmers and drinking.  A time of change....  If it set the tone for the next thirteen years then they sure were tricky.

My third year of the Blue Moon was a powerful one too for sure.  I was about to start my third year at Uni.  I was a good student, a very good student.  And all of a sudden my tank was empty and I knew I could not do it.  I decided to take a year out.  Everyone was shocked and horrified but I went ahead and did it anyway, literally within days of my birthday.  I think everybody thought I would not come back, that I was giving up.  It didn't help that I could not explain what I was doing or why, I just knew I had to do it.

That weekend I became very ill and called a friend to take me to Casaulty where I was admitted for a minor op to remove an abscess as my temperature had become dangerously high.  It took me weeks of sleeping to grow new flesh and return to strength and finally everybody understood.  Jobs lined themselves up pretty well for the rest of the year, two short term jobs  that took me through to the true beginning of my third year and related to my degree.

But that is not the most important thing about that year for it is the year I met F.

It makes me wonder about the other Blue Moons I have lived through...  and looking at the dates I can see a link to big things in my life.   Decisions made that took me in a new decision, either for me or by me such as changing schools, starting jobs, moving.  As well as events such as meeting a new love, breaking up and illness.  Interestingly, in some parts of the world this moon is not a Blue Moon and the next moon is.  A narrow slice of the world has no Blue Moon at all this year.

No comments: