Monday 30 August 2010

Baby Steps

Yesterday I wanted to get back off holiday and get cracking, sort my body and house out. But F wanted time off to do zilch and that just kinda took all the wind from my sails and I did zilch too. But this morning I woke up and got cracking to sort things out for a nice healthy breakfast. I woke at 7 and got breakfast at half ten.

So why did it take so long? Yes a pint of yogurt, banana, blueberry, strawberry, raspberry and grape smoothie takes a little time. So does a nice healthy cooked breakfast of quorn sausage and bacon, scrambled egg, mushroom and a slice of lovely white salt and pepper bloomer. But washing up and then clearing a bit of work surface took a fair bit of time.

I have not really cooked since I was ill last year. Food has been about no effort. Pack nastiness or something F has conjured up from the freezer. The less I cook, the less inspired F becomes in his cooking. If I am occasionally making nice, from scratch dishes, he makes some occasionally as well. The height of vegetable use has been pre-prepared or frozen. Our cooked breakfasts have slunk away from grilled, low fat niceness to full on badness.

F has stopped me living entirely on sugar and stick in the oven and heat food. His diet has been better than mine because he eats at work as well. My weight has slowly slunk back up again. Not to my heaviest (23 stone) but to my fat fighter starting weight of 21 and a half. So that painfully lost stone has gone back on. It could be worse.

So we try not to put anything we use much in any of the cupboards with damp. This means things spread across the work surfaces and if we let up, we have no work surface. But given time, damp gets those things as well. So I cleared a patch, checked dates, put things aside for recycling. Then I scrubbed my small patch. F's coffee had congealed over the surface and paper and card had stuck to it.

I chucked our spice collection, some might have been fine but others definitely were not. I bought a few new ones yesterday and will begin to build up my collection again. But they can not sit around too long... Part of me wanted to keep these lovely little jars with their shaker lids for a craft use but no... declutter...

Why do we live like this? How long is it going to take us to sort it all out? How much money to correct the damp?

Small steps I guess....

But at least I know I do not need to do any washing up or space clearing before I begin my veg rissotto later on today. The one that I am going to eat for lunch tomorrow as well. Maybe later I will clear a bit more work surface later...

No comments: