Monday 9 April 2012

G is for Ghost

I have always been fascinated by ghosts. We would go on holiday to the Lakes as a kid every year and I remember I had a couple of books on the ghosts of the Lakes. I remember reading these stories and revelling in the unknown and that feeling of fear and mystery. I am not sure this connection of fear has been a good thing for me!

My fascination has continued, sometimes mixed up with scepticism in varying amounts. I love films and stories about them. Medium was one of favourite series and I really enjoyed the earlier series of Ghost Whisperer. Rent-a-ghost was one of my favourite TV programmes as kid. I loved Ghost and The Others.

I attended a spiritualist church for a while a few years back and I found it fascinating, although I struggled a little with the Christian aspects of it. No spirits ever came to talk to me, except a very confused old Roman who I don't remember having an awful lot to say... One day I stopped going.

My growing experiences with journeying and the stories of my teachers show that ghosts are real and they are out there. And as much as I am fascinated by them, they terrify me. I don't want to see them, or hear them or speak to them because ghosts do bad things. The thing is though that ghost is such a broad term.

Lisa teaches that a ghost is a spirit with unresolved issues. They may or may not be an ancestor. She has a lot to say about ghosts and many experiences with them and her blog is full of stories. There are a lot of distinctions, guides may be spirits but they are not bogged down with their unresolve.

I have been learning recently about my fear of ghosts and how I block them. I have been stubbornly digging my heals in about going to a graveyard and opening myself up to the stories in the bones of the dead around me. I am with out a doubt scared.

Then I bumped into the lady I used to go to the church with and we had one of our first chats in years. She informed me in no uncertain terms that I had without a doubt been very much blocking all my spirits from reaching me when I used to go to the church.

In recent times I think I am slowly reaching out a little. Last year my Gran, helped me find a beautiful new strap for the watch she received from her Mother for her 21st birthday so I could wear it to my own wedding. This healed much between us.

More recently I have had issues with an ancestral ghost. He wants his story known and I have done a lot of research into him, he seems to be giving me some space at the moment, because he can see I have commited to his story.

At a recent drum circle we connected with our ancestors and journeyed to find an Ancestral Spirit Guide. I found one called Crow, I don't feel able to share his first name. Several generations back, one of his descendants married into my family. We even chatted about my ghost a little. Crow is definately not a ghost!

Maybe I feel a little safer now I am collecting helpers, my family of totems, an ancestral spirit guide, a guide who resides in the upper world with Big Dog whose name I don't know, a plant allie (periwinkle), the spirits of my childhood home. I would like to think if I got myself into a tricky situation, maybe I have enough helpers to keep me safe now? To give me good advice if I got stuck?

One time we journeyed for a lady who wanted to know about a past life, a past life that is closed to her for good reasons and should remain so, not that we knew this when we journeyed. My Magpie guided me there and because I was flying with Magpie as a bird myself, I was unable to go into the water and follow the spirit, which was just as well. F had a few shadowy, scary glimpses. A tunnel with a locked door that he managed to open and then down there he found a very scary skeletal figure, a big set of carnivorous teeth appeared and threatened the figure so he could leave, and he did ( a first early sign of one of his totems working hard to protect him).

If we can travel to such places and our spirits will help us there in that realm, surely they will also help us in this realm? I do think I need to open up to these things more. Fear is not constructive....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have a fascination with ghosts as well....and a healthy dose of fear about them as well.

(loved the Ghost Whisperer!, haven't ever watched Medium, though)

i really do believe we are held and watched by our guardians....and i think your knowledge of yours will help you stay grounded if things get frightening when you open up...

i also think your living room will be chock-full of spirits once you open the door....*grin*

xoxox

Rose said...

Medium is excellent - I much prefer it to Ghost Whisperer..... Thank you for everything in your comment except the last bit! What exactly do you think is stopping me from opening up? Maybe the image of my living room being full of ghosts is not going to help *laugh* mind you, they might be able to do some cleaning while they visit...

Sure I will get there... where ever that may be....