Wednesday 26 December 2012

Be Merry

I am not sure how I feel about Christmas really.  I am not saying I have not enjoyed it but there is something in me that rebels against the imperative to do more, to buy more.  Maybe it is just plain laziness....

We had a lovely day.  On Christmas Eve we went to the cathedral for Midnight Mass.  Then we slept in.  We opened our presents to each other, well i say opened, they were not actually wrapped...  Then we had breakfast and watched some TV.  Then we cooked our roast and watched more TV....   And it was all lovely.

Today we see his family and exchange presents and in a few days, weeks time we see mine and exchange more presents.  No pressure....  I have avoided last minute shop buying on the whole and done most of it online...  The only shopping I did last minute was a last couple of food items.

Christmas cards and decorations were last minute though, and feeble.  A few cards passed to colleagues on Christmas Eve to avoid offence....  A couple of decorations in the window to make it look like we tried....  Who is it all for?  What is it all for?  A list of jobs done, because it is Christmas and thats what we do.

I liked our relaxed Christmas Day....  I also like family Christmases, like last year where we were able to escape to mine.  I think Christmas only really has meaning in the context of family.

I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas, celebrated in what ever way they wanted, with their loved ones...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your day sounds absolutely blissful in its simplicity...

i am ever searching for ways to simplify the holiday...too much of the real point (and what is it anyway?) is lost in the push, push, push of commerce etc. slowly, we're getting there...i had much less stress this year and i think its because i shed all expectations of it being a certain way...

anyway..babbling....happiest of wishes to you and F....

xoxo