Saturday 26 May 2012

Tooth of the Lion

Sometimes things just won't go away.  They just stick around, even though you don't know what to do with them.

Dandelion is not going away.

It started with me noticing them a lot as they came in to flower.  Then on holiday, the Dandelions over there were already gone to seed and they had absolutely huge seedheads, far bigger than ours here.

When I returned here I talked of the animals we saw while away and Mel commented about her own encounter with a Rabbit...

'on Thursday morning i stood for ages watching a rabbit eating dandelions (it was like someone slurping spaghetti!)...it was quite daylight and she would have been easily spotted....but she sat and tucked in nonetheless...'

And then there was a comment that randomly landed in my inbox.  A recent comment on an old blog post of Lisa's here....  This post is the story of a girl coming to terms with her heritage via Dandelions and the comment referred to being drawn to Dandelions too...

And then they appear in  the books I am reading.  I recently read the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins.  Two of the main characters first met as children and there was a Dandelion involved as a sign.  The third and final book ends with Dandelions too.....

'What I need is the dandelion in the spring.  The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction.  The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses.  That it can be good again.'

They are there on a walk with F and S and we end up blowing the seeds off them at each other.  And I remember how as a child on a walk with relatives one of them told me that dandelion seeds were fairies and if you caught one on the air you could whisper your wishes to it before letting it go.  he spent most of the rest of the walk trying to catch seeds for me.  I make wishes as F and S chase after each other.

A seed blows into my car one day as I have lunch.

I look at books and not one but two have dandelions on the front with the seeds blowing away.

I have come across various meanings...  courage and tenacity, faith and loyalty, wishes do come true.  I also found a reference to using a sachet of dandelion roots flowers and leaves for psychic dreaming... oooh....

It is certainly everywhere I go at the moment....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi rose, a few weeks ago i had a dream of a field of dandelions their heads ripened and seedless, and woke to the phrase 'seeds flown are wishes on a breeze'.

i was reminded through sharing the dream of how as children we called them 'fairies'.. carrying wishes on the wind. which led to thinking of fairytales.. Stories in general..having the same qualities.. the words being like the seeds..written or spoken they are carried on the winds of time. and can all have a healing affect :) a little nudge to remind me of being more aware of the thoughts we can generate.

bright..cheerful little flowers and magical seeds.

xx

Rose said...

Thank you so much for sharing this Ari - they sure do seem to be everywhere right now and these are such beautiful words... *hugs*