Monday 28 May 2012

Rolling Down the Road

Sometimes things just don't go to plan.  Nobody's plan at all....

A lovely older couple were going to be celebrating their Ruby Wedding Anniversary this weekend.  We were unable to go up for the whole weekend but arranged to travel up for one day of the festivities.  And we did.

One of the couple has terminal cancer and unfortunately a few hours in, he took ill and went to hospital and has been kept there so far.  I kind of had in my mind that this would be the last time I would see him and I was determined to go anyway.

So we went and left part part way through to visit him in the hospital.  He was only supposed to have guests two at a time but we were lucky and they let us use a sitting room and he came out to us.  Nobody chased us away at the end of visiting time either...  We spent an enjoyable time with him telling us many a story.  It was a lovely time...  He rose to the occasion and I think the visit did his spirits good, particularly as he was missing his party...

But as he took my arm as we walked to the sitting room I could feel that it was not just a guesture of friendliness, he needed my help.  And hidden by his pyjamas, his arms have gotten so very thin.  And if you looked past the animation and personality and spirit, you could see his ill health.  F assures me with the practiced eye of one who sees very poorly people every day that he looks like he has a good while yet, but it was still bittersweet...

And i felt for his wife - running the party and entertaining the guests by herself.  It must have been so very hard, and then at the end, when everyone had left, going home.  But I also think there was some good things for her too.  I think she realised the degree of support she would have from everyone.  She looked so strong.

I would like to think I could have done something else for them, that this path I am on gives me some ability to do something good just by having been there...  If that is so then I shall never know, but in truth, I lack training and understanding to do very much more than have raised his spirits with an unexpected visit.

Those wheels turn how they will and I turn with them.

No comments: