Saturday 14 July 2012

Diagnosis

So yesterday I visited the Doctor to get my second set of test results which confirmed the first set.  As I saw my regular Doctor (who I have a lot of faith in, he has experience, good sense and knowledge....) he was more able to act than the Doctor I saw last time, who seemed a bit nervous and wanted to confirm things rather than diagnose there and then.  And to be honest I understand that now because it meant diagnosing me with a condition that will be with me from now on.

I have an Underactive Thyroid.  Not really badly so, borderline as to whether or not it is at the point requiring treatment in some peoples view it seems, so not surprising the Doctor I saw the other week wanted more tests to confirm it.  My Doctor was going to prescribe me Thyroxin anyway but when I told him how bad I have been feeling over the last few weeks he was positive.

I read the symptoms of Underactive Thyroid and yes, I have a lot of them.  Some of them I have had as long as I can remember.  But the thing is, after just one little pill, I felt better.  Last night I felt warm and I still do.  I am so used to being cold.  I could feel the pulse in my hands and toes and they were toasty.  I am up and about and have energy after only 7 and half hours sleep, considerably less than my usual 9.  And I have more energy already.  As I lay in bed, before I opened my eyes i was thinking about all the things I could do today and I felt so happy and hopeful.

These last few weeks I have done so very little.  Pretty much just work and coming home to flop in front of the TV and once there I have not had to energy to bead or anything really.  F has been doing everything really...  Blogging has been one of the few things I have done, and then only at the weekend...

OK so I have this now and that is not good.  But I had it anyway and I can't change that.  I would so much rather have it and have the diagnosis and the treatment for it than live in ignorance, struggling.  And there are benefits!  This condition is one of those that qualify for a Medical Exemption Certificate for the NHS which means I will not have to pay for any drugs now.

No comments: