Saturday 25 February 2012

D is for Dream


Dreams are a huge subject for me right now becuase I am trying to learn to be a Dreamer.

We have lost the concept of the Dreamer in much of Western society but it was once an important and sacred role. This goes back millenia. Malta has megalithic temples older than the pyramids, currently the oldest are believed to have been built around 3500 BC. The statue above was found in one of these temples. She is a Dreamer.

So what is a Dreamer?

This is my understanding so far, I have a long way to go though! A Dreamer is someone who uses Dreams to access alternative realities with control and they may do so for guidance and healing among other reasons. We all dream and have some degree of ability but it is control that makes a Dreamer, as well as a natural ability I guess too.

My Hubby hardly ever remembers his dreams and gains very little from them. I remember a large number of dreams and am able to interpret them (with the help of friends!) and have gained a large amount of assistance from them but even so, I do not consider myself a Dreamer, yet.

Dreamers are lucid, or awake within their dreams so that they can navigate them at will. They can re-enter a dream to gain additional understanding and can even enter other peoples dreams to assist them. To them, Dreams are as much of a gateway to other realities as a journey with a drum. They are also able to interpret dreams.

This is not just something that happens at night though. The Dream is always there with every breath and a skilled Dreamer can pass into it at will, awake or asleep. Synchronicity is also an aspect of the Dream. Follow them....

I am a long way from being a Dreamer. I am semi-lucid in that I am actively thinking within the dream but I am not fully aware or in control. My dream interpretation skills need a lot of work! I can occasionally re-enter a dream, but only if I have not woken up very much.

So how did I find Dreaming? Well, I have long been interested in dreams and every so often I would have a strong dream, one just so full of meaning that I could not ignore it. One day I had a dream where there was a book, it was a huge old book of knowledge, like a prospectus and I was shown several pages within the book. I could only remember two of the pages when I woke and these were Dreaming and Cooking but it was Dreaming that made my heart skip a beat in excitement.

I began to read about dreaming and one day my friend Suzi introduced me to the blog of Wapeyit, who is an Indigenous Dreamer and my learning continues.

Soetimes I wonder if I am meant to be a Dreamer, but I guess things have been made pretty clear to me. Shortly after the dream I had to paint an intuitive picture of myself for a class called BIG. The image came very strongly to mind. A blue woman lying on her side, the image in my mind was of a pretty fat woman but I couldn't bring myself to paint myself that fat, so the lady in my painting is pretty curvy. Although she is obviously asleep, people on the course felt it looked somehow like she was swimming, moving.

A while later, Suzi recommended I read Supernatural by Graham Hancock. This book really blew my mind wide open. It linked varous experiences I had had with a whole bunch of things others have experienced that I just could not credit as being local or real and linked it all up somehow with my scientific understanding of certain things and voila, I was able to believe in alternate realities and Shamanism. It was not an easy read and it is probably the slowest I have ever read a book that gripped me so!

The book contains several pictures painted by Pablo Amaringo who painted the journeys he took while under the influence of Ayahuasca. They are very beautiful and compelling. The very first colour image in the book was very full but in one corner there was a lady I recognised, for all that she was green this time. A fat sleeping lady on her side, in pretty much exactly the same pose. I began to wonder if my BIG painting had drawn on some pre-existing archetype and I suspected she was a dreaming.

Very recently F and I started looking at honeymoons. After something my Mum said, I started looking at Malta. I have been there before, about 20 years ago, so it astounded me that having previously done the tours, I had never even heard of the megalithic temples there! I have no idea why these things seem to have been kept so quiet... I brought a book, only a rough guide, but it mentioned an enigmatic statue of a sleeping Goddess. And I had a suspicion right then.

I was right, and there she is at the top of the post. Fatter than the green ayahuasca lady and a lot fatter than the lady I let myself paint but recognisable. And she Dreams.

4 comments:

laoi gaul~williams said...

thats very interesting rose...have you read manada scoots 'dreaming' books? they are based around the story of boudica and have a very interesting take on what interpret we now call druids~in the books there are dreamers and singers (its also where my name comes from!)
i have become much more interested in shamanism etc...in fact you have reminded me about something i was planning to blog!

Anonymous said...

wow -- as soon as i saw the statue i thought of your BIG painting....

*goosebumps*

xoxox

Suzi Smith said...

me too *goosebumps* lol. I didn't know about the megalithic stuff in malta either.

My night dreaming is hit & miss... i get a spell of remembering & knowing the message in them, then nothing for a while. But, i can think about them later & 'go back in' when i'm awake. And i'm wondering about some of the 'stuff' i do.... communicating with trees & earth and stuff... if thats what is meant by the dream world, or at least a part of it...

I love the Boudica books laoi.... i still have the last one to read, but they feel 'real' to me!

Rose said...

I shall have to look out the dreaming books as well!

Your dreams sound really interesting Suzi - are you on Facebook yet?

So glad you recognised her too Mel, before you read about it all!

*group hug*