Friday 17 February 2012

D is for Drum

A core bellief of Shamanism is that there are other realities. Some people have gifts that allow them to access these realities more easily than others but over the course of thousands of years a variety of techniques have been found. Everybody thinks of drugs but while these certainly work they are not the route I choose to take. People also fast and dance until they are exhausted as well but this is hard for most people holding down a 9 to 5 job....

The drum might not seem like a promising route to other realities but it is. There is something about the vibration of a drum and when it is played at a specific sort of speed it helps induce a trance-like state and from there you can Journey.

I tried to journey using CDs to begin with but had very limited success. I think the actual vibration of it is hard to replicate in a CD. So i found a drumming circle and that has really helped me to journey. And the more I journey the easier it becomes.

Each time I go it is as if I get a little better at finding my way around, although I have explored such a tiny fraction of all that is out there. So now I find it easier to journey at other times too, because I know the way. I have journeyed to my own heartbeat as well.

Not everyone takes to journeying straight away, some people take years to get the way of it. My other half has only just started doing these sorts of things and he has not gotten into it yet. Different senses will be stronger in the journey for different people to begin with.

I love journeying and although I have only recently started it, I can't imagine not doing it.

I recently had a drum dream and now that there is a spirit who would like to be in my drum, one is being made for me, as a home for this spirit. This is a huge thing for me. The drum is sacred and very personal. In the dream a reindeer was dying and I was told it was giving itself for my drum. Honouring that spirit is very important and I can not wait to hear it's voice and get to know it better.

If you want to read more about drums my teacher Lisa wrote this post.

4 comments:

Suzi Smith said...

i've spent hours on the net searching for a drumming group nearby... no luck so far. I've never drummed but have such a hankering for a drum at the moment.... when the time is right as they say. Love hearing of that reindeer spirit...

Anonymous said...

i've had no luck with the drum circle, either...things always transpired to prevent me from going and then they moved their gathering to another city and so i took that as a sign they weren't the right one...

that's so beautiful about the reindeer spirit....what an incredibly special gift...

xo

Rose said...

I so hope you two manage to find drumming circles to join. I have been so enjoying it... I feel so lucky to be getting a drum in this way and I just know it is going to be amazing...

Rose said...

I have found word of a drum circle in the Lake Erie / Niagara Falls area, about 45 mins from Burlington. Is that any use to you?