Wednesday 6 June 2012

A Dogs Life

As much as I love Little Dog, i would love to have another.  I grew up in a two dog household, well until it expanded into a four dog household any way.  Little Dog is not an easy dog though.  She is prickly with some dogs, particularly greyhounds (she has never got on with my parents pack - too unwilling to go in at the bottom of the pack and not greyhound enough for them to accept).  She is fine off the lead and apparently when she is in kennels, she is the life and soul of the party - she certainly was very tired when she came home last time!

Little Dog likes Jack Russells, she always gets excited when she sees one out and about and lets them jump all over her.  I have dreamed of a little Jack Russell to keep her company.  To be a Mini Dog to her not so very littleness.

So I come home tonight to see a Jack running around.  I capture said Jack with the help of a dog treat and take him inside to meet Little Dog.  I would not have dared to do this by myself without the dog being small enough to hold.  While Little Dog was alright she did lunge a few times and she obviously was not happy.  The Jack obviously liked her though!  Possibly a little too much!  And in the wrong way....  How he hoped to carry out the deed is beyond me!

So having decided that I could even keep this cute dog overnight, i called the dog warden and off he trundled.  I would love to have kept him until someone claimed him rather than sending him away but I just couldn't do it.  We are both working the rest of the week and there is no way we could leave them together during the day which would mean sorting out a second area within the house tonight, while keeping the two separate and with F on a late shift....

The Warden reckoned he looked well cared for and thought he would probably get taken back to his rightful home.

But it has all left me feeling a bit sad because it has made me realise that we can not get a second dog because Little Dog would just find it too difficult.  Or maybe I would just find it too difficult.  I don't know....

2 comments:

laoi gaul~williams said...

thats funny seeing this post as my first thought on waking was about being part of a pack (and then the post arrived...thank you!!!)i always worry that flynt is lonely being an only dog but my waking thought was that we are a real pack here~right down to flynt sleeping on the bed with us the way i imagine the ancestors slept with their dogs for warmth. we are home with him a lot and now i suppose we have little mismi to add to the pack as i am sure flynt thinks he is a very small dog while mismi must think we are all large ferrets!

Rose said...

Being part of a pack is nice... Little Dog also sleeps on our bed and is very firmly embedded in our pack structure. I think she thinks we are all dogs... I like the idea of being a large ferret! I don't think she is lonely, except maybe during the day, but I know she sleeps a lot then, because whenever I am home during the day, that is pretty much what she does *laugh*