Monday 4 June 2012

Introduction to Moon of Territoriality

My First Moon of Territoriality fell in my second year at Primary School.  I was not overly happy there.  I liked adults better because I just didn't somehow gel with the other kids.  I have since learnt that this is often a problem for overly intelligent children.  I remember getting on really well with one of the lunch attendants.  I remember the group games that used to get played in the school yard.  I remember not being able to skip very well.  I remember being fascinated by the grasshoppers singing in the grass bank of the middle playground.  I would stand there for ages and patiently catch them in my hands and then try and look at them without letting them hop away.  I never hurt them, I just wanted to look....

The Grasshopper would be a nice totem for me for this Moon, maybe some synchronicity will occur and let me know if it is the Grasshopper, or another totem will step up.  The Grasshopper is a totem for those who dance to their own tune, for visionaries, clairvoyants, artists, dancers and musicians - anyone who sees the world with child-like wonder and awe.  It brings us creative inspiration and giant leaps forward and a sense of adventure.  It is also a symbol of longevity and happiness and can be a messenger from the other side.  He reminds us to listen to our own intuition and those voices within that sing of beauty and creativity.  The Grasshopper grooves to his own tune.

Whether or not he is a totem for this month, he sure had a lot to teach my six year old self if I had known what he was saying....

Things moved on and at 19 I was in my first year at Uni, the first time round.   I was a little goth girl who seemed to get on with everyone and who seemed to have a way with the men.  Inside I was starting to fall to pieces though.  I found it increasingly hard to feel at ease with men.  That fear, once awakened was hard to dispel without alcohol.  I struggled with my studies as I started to sink under the weight of Glandular Fever again.  My spirit had shattered into a million pieces and I was a puppet still walking.  I held it together until the Moon of Surrender though....

My most recent year of this Moon though was the one in which I came to terms with not having made it as  a Teacher and started my current job.  My plea at that time was for a job where I could be myself and whether or not it was what I expected, that is exactly what I got.  It is also when I started blogging and that has been such a wonderful road to self-discovery, learning and friendships.

So what do I think this Moon means?  Well looking at what MaryRose has to say, it seems to be about personal space and how we protect and maintain our personal space. Lisa has written about the boundaries between the territories of the masculine and the feminine and how the two interact across those boundaries.  She laso mentioned that one year this Moon was very much about Death.  I guess the Dead and the Living are in different territories.  So this Moon is not just about our territory and it's boundaries but the way in which our turf interacts with what is beyond our boundary.

The lonely child had her turf but walls other children could not cross and she turned to nature.  At 19 she had boundaries of fear and alcohol was the key to the door through.  In my 30s it was about upping sticks and moving my turf somewhere where it fit better, where I could be me.  Be interesting to see what aspect of this Moon comes up over the next few weeks.

No comments: