Tuesday 28 June 2011

Horse

I had actually got a post in my head I had forgotten about, so I am going to write that...

When I was younger, I adored horses. At the age of seven I insisted I wanted to learn to ride and something persuaded my Mum, who is so terrified of horses that watching me would make her feel sick, to let me. I would go up and work in the holidays for extra rides and just to be near the horses.

I read about horses, fiction and non-fiction. I drew horse. I even pretended to be a horse and trotted and cantered around the garden, even making little jumps for myself....

It occurs to me now that the horse was probably my power animal at that time and that I danced my horse in oh so very many ways.

But it all changed eventually. The stables I went to closed and the next closest stables was quite some way away and I could not get there so often and it was not as convenient for those who had to drive me. I discovered boys and going out. I got glandular fever and drawing and art fell by the wayside and I certainly did not feel like running around the garden. Oh and I had a horse bolt with me, i don't think it scared me, but it was the last time I headed over to those stables....

During the period when I was very sick with glandular fever, my family and I went to Paris for a long weekend. I spent a lot of this time asleep in the hotel room, crawling out to eat snails and other such delights in the evenings. One thing I remember very, very clearly from this holiday is having a large red mark, like a love bite, on my left cheek. It shows in all the photos....

And how did I get this? Well... there was a field behind the house with horses in and I used to go into the field and pet the horses and feed them handfuls of grass. I did this many, many times but this one time, the horse suddenly switched from being passive and nice to being nasty and it went for my face. It left no teeth marks and drew no blood, but just left me with this mark for a while.

I am not sure I had much at all to do with horses after that. Studying, boys, health issues and moving to the city all got in the way...

But what strikes my erysephelas ( A strep skin infection) was in exactly the same spot. The rash I had a couple of weeks ago, was also in this same spot. So what does all this mean exactly? Not a clue....

Oh and I saw the tail-less magpie again this morning, hoping around in the road eating carrion. It even flew a little and I am sure it will be just fine.... It looked fine. Sure there is a message in this as well..... Messages everywhere, if you know how to read them....

2 comments:

mel said...

oh...i wish i knew what the horses meant. they were assuredly my power animal for so long -- so many ways they helped me.

i don't know how to feel that i don't have the same feverish draw anymore. i think perhaps it means i've reclaimed my power somewhat...so just being near them is enough.

still -- it's a bit sad. :(

i would love to work with someone who knows about these things. i've been pondering my aversion to spiders and the fact that Spider is often a totem animal for writers....

i keep seeing "Animal Speak' referenced in different places....perhaps it's time to get my mitts on a copy...

xoxoxo

Rose said...

I think there is a world of difference between spiders and Spider.... Will look up the book!

And I am sure you had horse in there, reckon you still do!