Sunday 6 February 2011

Lampshade Love?

It all began with Pinterest. A wonderful, wonderful site which acts as a pinboard for all the lovely pictures you find while surfing the net. And also for all the wonderful pictures everyone else finds to... I found this one and this one.

And they gave me ideas....



So I took out cheap and nasty lampshade down and ripped it apart to get the wire frame.


I then added thick modeling wire and wrapped it in place with a network of thinner wire.

Then I started chopping up old clothes in to strips and tying them on to the frame. I used an old nightie, old pyjamas, fabric that a bunch of flowers came in, an old cocktail dress and it's lining, the underskirt to my Bridesmaid's dress for my Sister's wedding (long since divorced), and a silk blouse. I almost felt guilty for tearing up good clothes I no longer wanted but.... they are mine, why shouldn't I reuse them as I see fit?

Then I used fire and crimps and a variety of clear and silver beads to create a few dangling strings of beads.

When I put it up and lay underneath, I liked it, I liked the way the light shone down through it.


But then I stood and looked at it from the door and.... it is very large and really fills your view as you come in the door. I need to get used to it. No idea what F will say when he comes home tomorrow and finds it in his face..... What do you think of it?


I do need a daylight photo though so you can see the colours properly...

1 comment:

mel said...

i think it's GREAT!! i really love the underneath shot...what a great effect!!

i think it's a marvelous idea...

can't wait to hear what F says!! (i can imagine the expression on B's face in a similar situation)
xo