Wednesday 16 February 2011

The Rock That Fell

I have been happily eating junk for a while. lazily buying breakfast and lunch at the supermarket on my way to work. Spending a fair bit of money. Not exactly putting weight on, but really not losing any either. And my IBS has been quiet, oh so quiet....

Then I think, why am I not making sandwiches? cheap and nice food! Save lots of money. Better for me probably too....

So I make a New's Years resolution and get to it and.....

.... why the hell did I choose to forget that I have a wheat or gluten intolerance? ARGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

*laugh*

I found some time ago, that if i couldn't manage to stick to avoiding problem foods 100% of the time then avoiding them was not worth the effort. That 0.0001% failure would make me so ill that actually eating the bad foods in small quantities irregularly was actually a good thing. Occasional minor illness but tummy relatively happy.

And then i start stuffing huge doorsteps of white bread every day, with a bowl of cereal in the morning. Things slowly start to go down hill.... i semi-listen and start on brown bread. Things continue down the hill..... i semi-listen a little more and buy some wheat and gluten free bread and then BAM! The rock lands and squishes me.

I was so ill last night, so very ill.

My problem is, I can not do cheap food and get the variety i truly need. I can be lazy and buy varierty that does not help my health at all or I can be good and start doing it properly. But it costs money and takes time.

Cooked up mushroom and egg fried rice tonight and accompanied it with some salad, goat's cheese and smoked mackerel. very healthy really. and I have some for tomorrow's lunch but it was 7.30 by the time i even got to sit down. For someone who sleeps at 10 this is hard. very hard.

Why can't I be normal and save money by eating nice cheap home made sarnies every day?

but I am fed up of the rock falling. I need to learn to look up. I should have listened to the hints my body was giving me sooner. a lot sooner

2 comments:

Leone said...

I can so relate to this problem. I have been wheat and sugar free for several years now but I am finding my body is less and less tolerant to more and more things. My diet has become very simple and I eat the same food all the time. It is a drag, and I would love to have nice sarnie for my lunch and supper every day!! Good luck with listening to the signs, it's the pits to not feel well just for eating foods that most people can eat without thought!

mel said...

((((hugs)))))) i'm trying to be good to myself these days as well...not so much for weight loss as for health....and usually, a bit of weight loss comes with that.

but you're right -- eating *well*, eating healthfully (no matter what that looks like depending on sensitivities and whatnot) IS freakin expensive. and yeah, it's time-consuming as well...

hope you can find that balance....xoxoxox