Friday 12 August 2011

Filing

OK, any good admin person, or even any person vaguely related to admin knows that every filinf system needs some order to it. If you don't know how to retrieve things then it doesn't matter how hard to try, finding that one piece of paper you are after is just kinda unlikely.

So in order to have a filing system

You set it up with files and drawers and decide how you want the names to run, whether to file family stuff under family or Sea.....

You determinedly put things in, making sure they go in the right place.

You maintain your filing system - sorting through for obsolete stuff, adding news files and making sure all is working well.

The memory is just a a great big filing system and if we never set it up properly, then it is not going to work properly. Putting the stuff in is easy, automatic, but we file such vast quantities of stuff that finding that one little fact say for instance who had the number 11 single on your fifth birthday.... not a chance!

Filing is not so very interesting but it is extremely important. At the moment I am working at setting up my filing system. I am creating hooks upon which to 'hang' words. I have set up hooks to remember lists of up to twenty words, in order so far. Give me a number and I can recall the word that goes with that number. I can recall the words forward, backward, and out of order. But I can only have one set of words at a time. Once I put something else on those hooks, the old thing gets knocked off.

I am just begininning really and I ams till hoping that my general memory will really improve too as I start to work my memory harder and harder.... And of course I will have to maintain it and use it to keep it all going.....

At the moment it is along the lines of a neat party trick. I don't very often need to remember lists. There is a chapter on remembering phone numbers though - I can't even remember my own mobile number! and remembering names and faces as well.....

I might have to watch some conveyor belts from the Generation Game and see if I can win all the prizes!

1 comment:

mel said...

this is really cool stuff -- i have a strange memory....brilliant for some stuff and absolute rubbish for others.

dates/numbers i'm useless with...but i can remember all manner of obscure details about other things.

i would like to be good with remembering names and faces though...i know at work i remember the names of people's cats but not their name. *grin*

and i wouldn't be exaggerating when i say that huge blocks of 'stuff' are missing from my memory -- well, i'm sure they're there, i just have very little remembrance of them.

the brain is such a marvel, isn't it?

xoxoxox

ps. "our" wedding is over. *phew*

xoxoxo