Sunday 15 May 2011

Heart of Glass

This weekend has not been the most exciting weekend, not by a long shot! But I have, just about achieved at least some of what I set out to.

I have four pallets, sealed with PVA and fully undercoated drying happily. That represents14 hours of slog by me and a further two by F. He was working yesterday but he sanded them earlier in the week.

I then dragged him, kicking and screaming to a car boot. I had to bribe him with MacDonald's. Of course, he wasn't so grumpy when we got moving and we mooched around happily in the field of toot. I am on the hunt for glass.

The castle where we will have our reception is tiny but it has a number of little windows with slate ledges set into the bar granite walls. The rooms are not well lit and personally, I think the candle light they have choosen to use is much the best choice for such a lovely room. As there will not be individual tables laid out with their inidividual candles and because I like candles a lot, I have decided to have lots of them. Each window ledge will be full of them.... and glass..... with a few pebbles and flowers thrown in for decorative affect.

So today I was mooching for glass for these window displays. I got a number of small glass bowls and dishes and things, six I think, including a box where I can use both the lid and box inidividually. I also came across some boxes of old bottles and bought four of them in different sizes. I already have some glass tea light holders, a mason jar that held bath salts and a glass vasey thing for putting a candle in. I am sure some normal glasses and jam jars will work their way in their too....

At some point I shall go up to the castle and measure each window. I shall mock up each window on the cardboard and plan which items will go in each window. I shall snaffle paper boxes and allocate one for each window, with plans on the lid, and put inside the items for each one. I will also collect pebbles, some I shall leave grey and the others will be painted the colours of the weding, which are a little in flux right now... (torn between red and purple)

I think there is a power in putting objects together and adding a few things like flowers and flames. It doesn't really matter how old and dowdy the items, it is all about how they catch the light.... I just hope it all looks good on the day....

1 comment:

mel said...

oooooh...i think that sounds absolutely marvelous!! i think there's huge power in gathered-together things....

(((hugs))) it's so exciting to hear your plans...

xoxoxo