Saturday 28 May 2011

More Wedding Stuff

All is good.

I found a tenth feather on Friday, snarled in the grass right by where I park my car. I expressed a desire for a tenth as I arrived in work and there at lunch time, my eyes found the tiny fluff of black snarled in the grass, despite the strong winds and exposed location.

I spent yesterday on the phone and on the internet. I ordered my necklace - a beautiful stone known as a drusy. A polished rock with a vein of crystal exposed. It has then been coated with metals so it shimmers and shines. A tear drop shape in irridescent cobalt blue with an irregular crack of a vein that shimmers blue and purple and red. The company I ordered from are a husband and wife team of lapidarists in Yorkshire called Designer Cabochons and they will glue bails to the back of their stones on request. My something blue.


I then decided to look up flowers. My dress designer suggested purple lillies so I was looking them up and discovered beautiful purple calla lillies. So I did a search on images of purple calla lillies and right at the top was an image of a bouquet which happened to be on sale via Etsy and made in the UK by Indigo Daisy. So I bought that too!


And then I spent a lot of time on the phone. I told my Mum about the button-holes. The f M-i-L rang one a work night at ten to ten and was asking lots of questions about this and that. She knew F was working and had already left a message on his mobile but wanted to leave a message with me to.... about nothing very much. She has been too much this week! I spoke to her last night as well, and she knew he was working then too and had again left a message on his mobile about nothing very important.... *sigh*

Anyway, while she was asking about this and that, she asked about button holes and should she sort them out for her and her side. I went quiet. I am not a big flower person in many ways. I loved to wander in the garden as a kid and cut flowers to bring into the house but the overly commercial florist industry is sometimes alittle much for me. I like a bouquet as much as the next person but I like to keep my flower wasting habits to a minimum. The thought of filling a church with expensive flowers and then seeing them for half an hour just well.... I guess it isn't a priority for me. So I had not even thought about button holes.

So after my pause, starting to get more than a little frustrated with her, and not really having any desire in having such a chat right before bed, I said I hadn't even thought about them, that I wasn't sure that I was particularly fussed and that I wasn't sure I could see a need for them. To which she replied that she would be needing one. To say I came off the phone stressed, wound up, frustrated and more would be an understatement! I spoke to F on the phone when he was able to shortly after and told him and we ended up in fits of giggles about the whole thing....

I spotted that Indigo Daisy also did button holes with the Calla Lilly theme so I had much chat with my Mum about them. I was pretty definite in the fact that if f M-i-L was having a button hole, my Mum sure was too...... So the upshot is that the wedding party is going to have white calla lilly button holes with the ladies ones having a little more fluff and such. F will have a purple one to match my bouquet.

Except that the more I look at the bouquet, the more I notice the lilac - and that is not a colour in my dress.... But Inidigo Daisy suggested my bridesmaid have that one due to size, and maybe she should.... Lilac will not be such a problem with her dress I think. Those lillies look perfect but a little tweaking of the colour of the feathers.....

I have also found the perfect paper company - they sell colours in several weights of paper with folded card and envelopes in the same finishes. So I can actually get a co-ordinated look..... It comes in handy having a Dad who knows the industry.... I have a swatch pack on it's way. The nice thing is, I know I shall be able to use those little bits of paper in all sorts of ways...

F has found a nice old style convertible VW Beetle and I have asked for advice and a quote from a local coach company. At least I am hoping we can get a minibus for my family but the wedding reception venue is hard to get to. Some people would not be happy taking cars there. It would be handy to make sure that my non-local family do not get lost as both the church and the reception venue would be tricky. And of course I want them to drink!

All these details are so time consuming! But I am having a whale of a time! For now anyway - I suspect that as the day looms closer and I realise my hosue is still a bit of a tip and I have all these people expecting to come and sleep here.... then I suspect I might get stressed....

4 comments:

mel said...

ohhh....DO hang onto the joy of the arrangements!!!!! You sound positively in your element (the bouquet is GORGEOUS...LURVE the colour!!).

i've been watching my s-i-l implode in atomic fashion with her wedding arrangements -- and most of the stress is self-induced. Sure, there's some family drama -- but that's to be expected....;).

it's going to be such a magical day -- i do hope you'll share the piccies/video....even if just with special people like me :D

xxooxo

mel said...

ps. i meant to say i ADORE that stone....magic, pure magic.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

ooh, that stone...drools :D


it's so good that you can both laugh at the m.i.l stuff. it's 'your' special day.. and will hold magic that will last your lifetimes:)

xx

Suzi Smith said...

totally gorgeous.... & that stone... x