Thursday 5 January 2012

Gull

Oh and another numpty moment regarding totems....

Sometime ago, i was traveling to big hill when three birds flew past each other, all at equal distances so that there flight paths made a perfect equilateral triangle. They were Crow, Magpie and Sea Gull. I have known this a long time but kind of ignored it....

Crow I can cope with, cousin to my beloved Magpies... but Sea Gull. i wince slightly at the thought of Sea Gull.

I love Gulls of the sea, they are graceful birds who soar on the winds and ride the weather. they travel the world and are so in tune with the elements. But on land they show a different side of their nature. They steal food, attack people near their nests, make a mess, make lots of noise.... They are brash and in your face. They are the thugs and bully boys. They are so utterly themselves and completely at peace with that. And I do envy them that I guess, that they are happy to make a noise and everyone else can think what they like. But me, sea gull? oh dear... not me...

but it is Gull who joins Magpie and Crow sometimes at lunch. It is sea gull who is always there with them. Today though they did not stop to visit, they hung in the air all around.

And the other night, it was Gull who met me in the Lower World to offer some answers, not Magpie. or Crow.

I have lots of questions about earth energies and things right now, from ley lines to vortexes (and I am STILL waiting for the book I most desperately waiting to read *laugh*). As I lay in bed, quieting to go to sleep, I suddenly became conscious of my heart beat. And it sounded like a drum. And it was calling me. So I decided to have a go, there and then journeying with it, and it worked.

I found myself on a rock in the middle of the sea and there was gull, happy to answer my questions. And very kind of gull too - because of course if there is a bird who really knows how to ride the energies around it, then gull has to be right up there.

So now I have to look at why gull makes me uncomfortable and what that says about me. Because it says rather a lot. Thankfully Gull believes in itself enough not to care that I have a somewhat bipolar view and has been patient enough with me to let me get there....

2 comments:

laoi gaul~williams said...

oh how interesting rose!
ye si can see how uncomfortable it would be...i have been searching for ages, i want to make sure i have it right before accepting, if that makes sense?
in my pathworking i have for ages had a 'black' bird so of course i was wonderfing...blackbird? jackdaw? crow? any member of the crow family? i now take it to be generic 'crow' with leanings to the rook which i have always loved and the raven...i saw a solitary raven, my first, here in the new forest one day last year. it just sat by the side of the track we were going down and watched us pass...i have never seen one since.
the stag...which has pleased me no end...i have had lots and lots of signs over the years but the sudden, not to be repeated events have convinced me of the link.

Rose said...

I can understand why you would want to be certain, it is such an important thing... All those 'black birds' are so close in meaning that I think you get a bit of all of them with the one that sings to you most. If Crow is your totem, you get a bit of all the Crow family.

I love the way nature gives us signs and helps us learn in all this. I love the whole Corvidae family and Deer is a lovely totem as well. Those moments of meeting are precious...