Tuesday 28 December 2010

Hibernate

The desire to snuggle under a warm duvet and do nothing is strong right now. To disappear into that wierd limbo of wakeful nothing ness. To drift. The stock pot caught me yesterday, those bubbles held my gaze and freed my mind, to go, nowhere, to do, nothing.

I feel tired and drained but happily so. Spent. Not sure what it was that I did to get that way. Thing is, a lot of people have been feeling like that this Solstice, and not just those in bloggy land either. On Boxing Day i was talking to the f m-i-l and she said that she hadn't had the energy for it this year and so many others she had spoken to hadn't either. And I bet you, she has spoken to a LOT of other people....

So not just bloggy or pagany circles.... This draining of energy seems to have affected a lot of people.

Part of me wants to link it to the Solstice. To the strange energy that abounded, an energy that wasn't somehow a useful energy to do anything. I would love to have not been at work on the Solstice. Feeling odd, I tried to ground at work and this normally takes a few seconds with shut eyes at my desk. As I opened my eyes that time though, I felt almost drunk.

So why am I spent? Spent implies having done something, put some energy towards some cause. Maybe i did, maybe we all did. Maybe all that energy, so many contributed, has gone and done something. Maybe the world changed that day....

The last time we had a full lunar eclipse apparently was 1638. I looked up 1638 on wikipedia and it is full of wars being won, cities being founded by immigrants, treaties being signed and a giant thunderstorm where a ball of lightning hit a church where a service was underway.... And what of 1639, after the solstice? A lot less.... founding more places, explorers find a canal connecting the orinoco and amazon basins, the first printing press in North America is begun... all generally more peaceful, except for relations between England and Scotland where war breaks out and also for the Russian Cossacks.....

No clues there then, what the underlying change of energy caused by the eclipse will be....

2 comments:

mel said...

yeah, it was a kicker, wasn't it?

i feel like i'm starting to emerge a little bit (a teeny bit)...looking forward to the year ahead and all that....but quite happy to stay cocooned for the winter...

xo

Leone said...

I started a cold that day and although the siffles have stopped - thanks to Immune aroma therapy - I have no energy. I actually like this time of year because it's laid back and we don't have to have reasons not to "go out and enjoy the weather". I like to snuggle in and relax.
Happy New Year, Rose!!