Monday 20 December 2010

Soul Fish

As I drove home tonight, I asked myself if I wanted to play WoW and the answer came back no.

I went to the shops, bought a lovely turkey crown for the weekend and some other bits and then I came home and did all the things I needed to do. Caught up on things in the online world and then I painted.

And this is what came out.

So what do fish mean to me?

Not sure exactly but I have always liked them. I tried to keep some once upon a time but it was not a successful venture..... I used to have a lovely mobile of fish made from paper, painted in bright colours. They didn't survive a house move......

Fish are ideas, life, swimming around. A dream dictionary suggests that to see them swimming has to do with insights into the unconscious mind. Having read my dream book, it describes the unconscious mind as the part of us that filters messages from our higher self so we can understand them but it dresses them in our personal symbology.

My fish are swimming down. They are going deeper, further in. And the little baby fish? Some new aspect of myself, something growing and developing. The fish are happy.

I painted the background from colours chosen at random and then picked yellow and started painting lines which ended up sort of looking like a fish. A big yellow fish later and there was an empty spot in it's middle which didn't want to be pattern or anything and suddenly yelled that it was a little fish....

So what would a big fish take a little fish down for? Food probably.... Sustenance. Soul food. Some new part of myself needs to grow and this is the message it wanted to get to me....

1 comment:

mel said...

wooohooooo!! painty marvleousness!!

they seem very happy fish...like they're going somewhere exciting...

love this. love it. love it.

xoxox