Thursday 28 April 2011

Distractions

Reya had a great post today (she does every day) but this post linked to a really fascinating, but pretty long article about the work of a guy called Eagleman. So fascinating did I find it that I have just ordered two of his books. His third will have to wiat because I only need so much non-fiction in my life each month and it was more expensive....

So I bought Incognito which is about all the tricks of the brain 'behind the cognitive illusion we call reality'. And just reading about him, you know this is going to be a feisty, fascinating read....

The second book is called SUM and is a little different. This guy has so many interests and spreads himself thin at times. This one looks at the afterlife and different possibilities through the medium of the short story. Apparently this book has been applauded by both the spiritual and scientific worlds. And by spiritual, apparently both aetheists and different religous groups loved it.... It sounds small but fascinating....

I then went on and bought a couple of fiction books to keep be topped up with the newest works of a couple of my favourites. Charlaine Harris's latest True Blood offering and Sarah Addison Allen's The Girl Who Chased the Moon....

Then I bought second hand CDs of a couple of bands..... Underworld and Orbital. Taking me back to my younger and wilder days, although I still love the chilled mood of much of it and it makes me want to move too....

All this serves to distract me from what I should be doing. Painting. Half of the floor is ready for it's second coat. There has been delays. I had bought a paint called Blue Babe for the floor but on tuesday I started painting and was horrified. It clashed and didn't fit at all. i called F and he agreed.

Yesterday there was much messing about with paint chips, holding them here, putting them there, folding them up and propping them against the wall. All the colours we liked best for the room ended up being grey hued and gentle with hints of green, purple or blue. Because of the sea theme we went with one called Pebble Drift which is a blue / grey.

It was mixed specially for us and I slapped some on earlier, straight over the old grey paint, the horrible blue babe and the splodges of white. I know it needs another coat, but for now the coat is befuddling me cos I can't work out what colour it really is.... but I like the hue anyway, which ever of the mottled patches turn out to be it's true colour or if it has not revealed itself yet....

As much as I now love my bedroom, I will be glad when we finish and can actually use my nice new wardrobes and put clothing away.... It is all so time consuming. but now getting out of bed is harder to, because just being in bed looking at colour I love is enticing....

In theory I know colour plays a big part in our lives, but you never remember quite how big a part until you change it.

1 comment:

mel said...

i fancy treating myself to new booksies this week as well...i've been awfully good, after all...;)

i'm reading a series and just finished the second so...you know, i'd rather not wait too long to get to the third. :D

xo