Saturday 2 July 2011

Lost in Music



Can you imagine my relief when last night we got directed in to the very first car park? The one furthest away from the pit. The one they never expect you to walk to.... *grin*

Last night was so very beautiful. We kinda knew it would be. We knew it would be more chilled. We took a rug, wore lots of clothing and carried more with us. We took a picnic. We managed to find a spot on the grass slope at the back and from our rug we were lucky enough to have a good view of the stage inbetween standing people. We were able to stand when we wanted to...

So we sat (well I mostly sat, he mostly stood but we both did a bit of both) and listened to the beautiful sound of the Fleet Foxes. They are not a visual stage act. If i had had no view, it would not overly have mattered. They have a sound and live, it is just so full. They just stand on that stage and merge with their music. And I sat and blissed out and watched the domes change colour to the sides of the stage. Beautiful. Best of the three concerts as far as I am concerned...

Pendulum was great. I danced all the way through even! But that me is an old me... It's like I was there chasing a memory, having a holiday with an old me and while it was good, I won't go back too often! They were not on stage long enough though for the money and I felt short changed....

The crowd was mental! We were quite near the front at the beginning but as soon as it started the crowd kicked off. I expected to be pushed forward but we were pushed back as the young things started moshing and doing their best to maim themselves and others. But we had nowhere to go, we were to close to them, sandwiched between them and the crowd behind and unable to even raise a hand and in danger of much pain... So we moved back and had space to dance and a better view.....

The Flaming Lips were mad. More F's choice than mine so much of the music was unfamiliar but they were incredible, such stage presence. A good concert and a good show....

The crowds varied so much. Pendulum crowd was pushy, a bit rude. Waiting behind the barriers to get the park and ride and people were pushing through and it was a crush and no one could move when they got to the front.... Flaming Lips was fine, a nice varied crowd... but the Fleet Foxes crowd! This concert was rammed but yet the area emptied the quickest because everybody was being orderly and polite. There was no pushing, no shoving, and the only person running through was catching up to her mates after taking a photo.... The queue for the bus was genteel, an orderly queue with no pushing forward and plenty of space around each person.

But all this, what does it all say about me? Maybe I am not really a raver or a rocker any more. Maybe I am not very alternative either.... Maybe I am getting a bit more folky, maybe I have become a lot more chilled...... Maybe my kids won't believe I was ever cool.... but I will understand enough to let them be cool and dance to their own drum....

2 comments:

mel said...

*giggle* i love that last bit. i often get bewildered looks from Savannah when i tell her about the 'good old days'....

...it's more comical than depressing. really. i often find it bewildering myself. *grin*

xo

Rose said...

*laugh* I guess we were much the same with our parents. The world turns.....