Sunday 3 October 2010

Flight of the Books

So I finished my three day non working fest much as it started.... A whole load of slobbing around. I finished my first Wallander book and quite enjoyed it once I got past the initial darkness. I lounged in the bath reading so S could use the TV for the xbox.

F was happily lying in this morning when he received a call from S. Where are you? Obviously not where he should be because no one told him or answered his texts.... S is getting to grow up quick.

And I get to slob with a book. I like books. Escapism, pure and simple. They have endings and are neatly packaged. They come with emotions, whatever emotions you want to feel. Happy, sad, excitement, a walk on the dark side... I think I always loved books for this reason but I think they can be an excuse for not doing things too....

A lot of my life seems to be about escapism. Books, games, day dreams while at work. But there is a lot of my life I don't want to escape from, namely F. I wish F found it a little easier to escape from his computer though! My life has too much empty space in it sometimes and the rutt is too big and comfy.

I want money and a lot of it. I could sort out the damp in my house - silicon inject the walls, re-point and coat the granite at the front to make it waterproof and re-render the side and back. Re-do the roof, with under eave ventilation, board it out and put in a loft ladder. Re do the floors and the ceilings and the walls. New kitchen, bathroom and furniture for the rest of the house too. Maybe some heat recovery ventilation for radon and damp as well. Oh and a lined chimney with a stove.

Nothing in my house works properly! But it is warm and comfy, even if it does stink of damp. It is home and it is mine. But is it any wonder I want to escape sometimes?

On another note, I got my birthday pressies from F's family this evening. I got some new slippers. I like slippers, I believe in warm feet. I even like pink slippers. I look at those fluffy booties that older people wear when they want to really adore their feet and think they look comfy but I never went and bought any. Now I have a pair. Not a traditional looking pair however, mine are a crazy patchwork of pastel colours with pink trim including a pink ribbon bow. Just to top it off there are two pastel crazy patchwork pom poms danging from each one too. F gave them 10/10 for amusement value, but my feet do feel nice even if I never ever want anyone to see me wearing them.... I wonder where such a pair of booties can take me, where will I escape to in them?

2 comments:

mel said...

roflmao - i LOVE the sound of your new slippers...a photo..please!?!?! I adore slippers as an entity...they're symbols of warmth and comfort, i think. i treated myself to a new pair last year -- and while not as jaunty sounding as yours -- i do love them dearly.

yep, i'd like pots of money too. lots i could do with it. pots, but not too many pots -- just enough to get set up in my dream-home and enough to maintain us comfortably. that's all.

xoxox

Rose said...

Hmmm... maybe.... *laugh* actually I was thining I had to post a piccie sometime too, they are just too hilarious!

I want pots and pots and pots so I can take my family and friends on the journey with me but otherwise I guess just enough to live in the country with a little land would be nice...