Sunday 14 November 2010

A Small Wish to Begin With

I feel a little lacklustre today. F came to bed late and got up early. I stayed up last night until he got in and wasn't able to stay asleep after he left again. I had a half formed plan to do a tourist day for the Happy Book but the weather was awful first thing - absolutely torrential down pour. I was thinking of visiting an area on Bodmin Moor where there is a carved standing stone, stone circles, holy wells, a quoit, a waterfall and a pool reputed to be the home of Excalibur and the Lady of the Lake. But not today - not a day I wanted to outside.

So I painted instead and I painted me.

Then I had a nap.

I have put some washing on - damp clothing from the back of the cupboard that happens to be blue. I started cutting little worms for my future rag rug last night and now I have more material to work on - well I will once it is clean and dry.

I have a vision for my bedroom.... That room I use to sleep in. I have a set of furniture inherited from my Grandma. Big furniture. A set for a big airy room in a grand house. Two wardrobes, a bed, two bedside tables and a dressing table. Dark, big, unsuitable, mouldy. I lvoe it - but not here, not now, not in my bedroom....

I want to buy a modular wardrobe system from Ikea. You fix poles between floor and ceiling and then suspend shelves, drawers and rails between them. This way everything is cleanable, air can circulate and it makes the most of space. I want to hang thin white curtains in front of them and at the window but dye them with blue first so they have three bands, white, light blue and darker blue. I want a white blind to keep the light out.

I want white walls and to paint the floor boards blue. I want a bed with storage underneath and no high footboard. I have an old trunk that went with an Uncle, generations back, to India and back. I want to remove the rust and repaint it to protect the metal. I want to sit in the big window. I want a chair and a lamp in the other corner. I want to feel like there is some space!

I want to get some nice whitish rope and make a net to put above the headboard to put little found things in. I want to make a mobile of shells, sea glass and bits of string found at the beach to hang in the window.

I want a room that is comfortable, practical, relaxing, light and airy. And I want two long thin rag rugs by each side of the bed, to warm our toes and be beautiful in their random variegated blueness

3 comments:

mel said...

oooooh...i love the sound of that room!! blue floor boards? FAB!!!

i've always thought that one's bedroom should be a haven....not that i've entirely put that into practice, but i am working on it. sort of. ;)

you've inspired me to think about it again...and start doing the little bits i can to claim this space...

xoxoxo

Rose said...

Let's hope that we both get beautiful bedrooms that are havens and feed our souls....

Leone said...

That sounds beautiful, I hope you get your wish!