Thursday 11 November 2010

Wild Wind Blow

It is a wild and windy day. The sort of day that when you at the online weather, the wind box is coloured red. Plastic bags fly in the wind. Anything not tied down may move.

It reminds me of a story I heard. This guy was doing his doctorate, studying the movement of rocks in a river in Wales. He painted all these rocks different colours and everyday, he went to measure them and see if any of them had moved. Day after day, they stubbornly stayed put. Until one day there was a storm. After the storm he went to see if his rocks had moved. They finally had. Every single one of them had vanished and he never found a single one.

I got home and the wind was calling me. I grabbed Little Dog and hopped in the car. We went to the top of the nearby Big Hill. It was dark but dry and a tiny sliver of moon peeked from behind the clouds to gild the puddles. The wind blew my hair behind me like streamers. Little Dog ran around in circles, sniffing.

I reached the top and stood, fully in the wind now, arms wide open and I prayed. I asked to be swept clean, I asked to be renewed, I asked that if my dream of my new life was too big, to help show me what version I should be pursuing. I asked for renewal.

The lights of the towns below glinted. Their brilliance gave the granite blocks a gentle glow. And still the wind blew.

Then we returned to the car and just as we had settled inside the heavens opened for a few moments. The rain vanished as quick as it came and the moon returned.

For the first night in days, Little Dog is sitting with me on the sofa, maybe the wind blew away her fear of a stray firework....

I am tired, so tired after this week. I don't think I have been sleeping that well but I think I will sleep well tonight. I saw a penny this morning and picked it up. Luck meant I had a Boss and LP free day. Renewal begins with rest.

2 comments:

mel said...

oh this is fantastic. I SO love a good wind...the most healing and cleansing of things (even more so than rain sometimes, but you got both!!)

Dear Heart...know this -- no dream is ever too big...it's just the steps to get there that have to be small sometimes.

this is it. i just know it. i am SO thrilled for you...beyond words (HA!! as if!!)

monster love to you...xoxoxoxoxo

Leone said...

What a beautiful post, love and best wishes for those dreams to come true. hugs!!!