Monday 29 November 2010

Snow Storm

It has been an icky cold weekend....

Today is a work day and I should be at work.

I woke early and got up at quarter to seven. We have a big window on our landing and all I could see was snow. I let the dog out, got a drink and crawled back to bed. Then something even more unusual than snow happened. Lightning and thunder - with snow! I never remember that happening before. A snow storm....

So I contacted my Boss, not much help there.

I figured I should set about going to work....

I live on a long street, parallel to the main road, I live at one end of it and over the weekend, my car was parked on the end which slopes. I got outside to find a small lorry half blocking my road, wheel spinning in the slush until it slid back against the kerb. I had to roll down the hill a little, towards the van, reversing in to my road a little. I then had to pull out of my road and slid down hill to the main road.

It then took me 15 minutes to get to the end of that. Nothing was moving at the roundabout much. Town was gridlocked. I bypassed the traffic by turning right, called my Boss and then came home. My Boss was battling in, they don't have to go through town to get there but the going was tough....

So now I am at home, knowing that some people have made it to work, knowing that as long as work is open, I am not going to be paid for today. I am not sure how I feel about today. The thunder and lightning came back and the snow never really stopped.... It is cold. Should I feel guilty for not going to work?

Hardly any cars on my street have moved, plenty of other people have not moved. I am not sure I would have been doing anything that important today, if I had been there and I did start to go.....

1 comment:

mel said...

wooohoooooo!! SNOW DAY!!!!! ah, a Canadian tradition -- lucky you!!

i'm thinking it was all divine engineering myself...a sign to stay at home

oh, and as to the guilt? nah.

xoxoxoxo