Thursday 9 September 2010

Hair Today

I have long, thick, dark brown hair which is mostly straight. There is the older silver hair and a feathering of silver at my temples. My hair maybe gets a cut once a year - if it's lucky. I used to dye it with henna every so often but had stopped doing even that. My last lot of henna languished on the shelf unused. I use a lush shampoo bar and an occasional deep conditioning. Some days I don't bother to brush it but somehow it always looks fine. I don't blow dry or straighten it and I don't bother with styling products either....

But occasionally i do something a little radical to it. A few years back, I got hold of F's clippers, set them to the longest setting and sheared the lot off. F was distraught. I was too when he asked me to marry him a few weeks later! No way did I want to get married with hair that short.....

I always wanted blue hair. Working where I do now, I have nothing to do with the public or presenting any sort of image. No one cares what my hair looks like. Time for my hair to turn....

I tried dying it cosmic blue but unfortunately it was more black than blue and although I like my hair black, it wasn't what I wanted.

I dropped a hair sample at the hairdressers. They recommended extensions rather than bleaching as my hair was rather dark and blue would take a lot of maintenance. I had extensions. They didn't really allow enough time to do them so I didn't get that many, and they were not cheap. So I had a tiny bit of expensive blue.... But two came out after a week. I also realised that the extensions really weakened your hair and I didn't much like that.

I went to hunt down proper blue hair dye eventually. I found some in a little shop where the guy serving had a big blue streak down the middle. He recommended getting a streaking kit and then added that he reapplied the blue several times a week. A daunting proposal.

I decided not to go blue before the holidya as I would have no way of reapplying it.

But I did bleach my hair. i got nowhere near the root and it left my hair that nasty orangey bleached colour but it didn't matter as I had some nice purple dye all ready. It looked fine but the purple was quite dark. As it slowly washed out, it looked better and better. At the beginning of this week it was looking the best it has, but I always knew this was a fine line. I can see the first wee hint of orange.

i think it is time for some nice blue streaks.... They might not be blue though, given they are a light purple right now.

I like bleaching streaks and I like having different colours. I wonder what other colours I could go..... And how many streaks I should have....

No comments: