Tuesday 28 September 2010

Play

I started talking about work and trying to explain stuff but there is no point. Those moments are gone and I have no desire to hold on to them.

I was sat with F earlier, with the TV up loud to cover up the sound of banging of a bulding sort from next door. Then we heard the tumble of stone into our fire place... F got up and had a look and ended up having a chat with the guy net door through a little hole!

I went over to say Hi which was interesting... I got to see inside my wall and explore the current causes of damp. But mostly they seemed nice and the whole thing was amusing. The hole will be swiftly filled up and they will no longer look for fireplaces! They don't have any!

I have been playing with my Happy Book a fair bit, on and off. Not just the pages we are doing in the book group. I have stickered pages, finger painted, listed games, talked about where I want to be five years from now... Some stuff I will post properly but I wanted to talk about games a bit....

I realized writing out a list of games I liked as a kid, how many games we used to play. Very few of these were computer based, even though we had a BBC computer. These games were also pretty social. Many of them were for large groups, some for four or less, a few for two and only a couple for one. It made me realise how social games should be. The more solitary the game, the more puzzle-like it is.... Patience, Solitaire, Mahjong....

As kids, games bind us together, they are how we have fun, how we learn. Why do we stop playing games? Or rather, why do we start playing different games? Do we change as adults or has the nature of games changed? Games are becoming more complex and computers are evolving so that they can also be highly social.

We all need a little fun in our lives here and there.... Where is the fun in mine? Often it feels like it missing.... I feel bored. I don't have to do anything... This weekend I did finger painting for the hell of it.... We all need to play to have fun. This is the fine line with craft - when is it play and when is it work?

Play... I need to play more....

Last night I started doodling...

No comments: