Thursday 24 March 2011

Swan Lake


F and I have been out gallivanting. I decided we needed some culture and took us to see Swan lake.... on ice..... in our regional theatre which is not huge and not somewhere you would expect to find an ice rink.

The ice rink was tiny but when you get a team of skaters who have over 200 medals between them, they know exactly how to make it work. They really are world class and the skating was incredible, really incredible. And coupled with Tychaichovsky's beautiful music....

From the first few moments I knew F was as hooked as I. The audience clapped many times throughout at astounding moves as well as at every single break in the music. At the end we clapped until our hands were sore and the theatre was on it's feet.

The guy in the photo above is pictured as the Prince but he now plays the evil Rothman but I loved this photo. What it does not show is that he is whizzing about the tiny rink while lifting the black and the white swan.

If ever you see this show near you, don't hesitate. And don't buy tickets too close to the stage - a little perspective is better!

There isn't much else I can say about the show. It is stored in my head as beautiful music and images and the words I have would take some of the magic away....

2 comments:

mel said...

sounds lovely...

i'm glad you enjoyed it!

xo

Leone said...

What a beautiful picture. I love ice skating as well, if it comes here I will go see it!!